Increasing your home’s appeal
Remember the 60-second rule: That’s all the time you have to create a winning first impression. Here are some simple to significant ways to maximize your Fort Bend home’s appeal. For more information on home staging and its value in the selling process: click here.
* Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
* Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
* Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
* Tighten and clean all door handles.
* Clean windows inside and out.
* Powerwash home’s exterior.
* Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
* Paint the front door.
* Buy a new welcome mat.
* Place potted flowers near the front door.
* Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts “the flow” or makes the room appear smaller. Consider renting a storage unit to move items off-site.
* Clean and organize cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
* Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
* Shampoo carpets.
* Remove excessive wall hangings and knick-knacks.
* Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
* Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
* Clean or paint walls and ceilings, and restore paint to original or neutral colors if necessary.
* Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
* Fix or replace discolored grout.
* Replace broken tiles.
* Replace worn counter-tops.
* Consider hiring a staging company
Special details for showings
* Turn on all the lights.
* Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
* Keep pets secured outdoors.
* Buy new towels for bathrooms.
* Buy new bedding for bedrooms.
* Replace old lamps or lampshades.
* Play quiet background music.
* Light the fireplace or clean out the ashes and light a candelabrum.
* Infuse home with a comforting scent, such as apple spice or vanilla.
* Set the dining room table for a fancy dinner party.
* Vacate the property while it is being shown.
* Secure personal objects / valuables
* Remove personal items such as pictures, etc which indicate the home is already owned / occupied.
Overall the key to selling your Fort Bend County home is attracting the buyer’s emotions. If the buyer walks into the home and can imagine him/herself living in the home, then there becomes an emotional attachment to the property. However, if the buyer feels like he is intruding on someone else’s home, or feels ‘out of place’, then he/she is likely to continue looking for the home which creates a feeling of ownership. Appeal is just one of many factors to selling a home. Yet a home with a complete sense of appeal can often sell quickly and for a much higher price than a home lacking the above mentioned aspects.